Every night at bedtime I rock Isaac and sing hymns or praise songs before tucking him in for the night. We have a "playlist" of songs that we usually sing, so he's learned the songs quite well. And for some time now he's instructed me "again," even before the verse is over because he knows it's coming to an end and he wants to hear it again. But lately he's been learning to sing and I am convinced there is nothing sweeter than the sound of a 2 yr. old singing...even more so about God and His praises.
So every night he cuddles up to me and joins me in a sweet little melody by humming until a word comes up that he knows, whereby he's right on cue to sing along. One of his favorites right now is "Jesus Loves Me" because he knows most of the words. But he also likes some good 'ol praise songs pulled out from Mommy's youth group days. Tonight we sang a song called "Who Am I" by Point of Grace. During the chorus, each time I sang the words "who am I," he sleepily replied with "Isaac." :)
Praying is also a part of our nightly routine. Every night my husband and I pray with our son, and in the last month we've been teaching Isaac to pray also. He's always been a patient little guy, bowing his head and being very quiet while we pray for him. Then when we say "Amen," he throws his hands up in the air and says "Amen!". But lately we've been letting him pray himself. We give him words to say and he repeats them, all the while with a huge smile on his face that says, "I'm a big boy now!"
While out to lunch the other day, midway through the meal he realized we had forgotten to pray, so he held out his hands and said, "Pray." So we stopped and joined hands and prayed. Then he wanted to pray again. So we prayed again. He loves getting to pray.
I know that he doesn't fully understand who God is, what Jesus did for him, and why we pray and sing praises to God. But it is such a beautiful picture to see faith through the eyes of a little child. All he knows at this point is that we sing to God and we pray to Him. And he finds joy in both. God's Word says to "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it." (Proverbs 22: 6). So that will continue to be my hope. And in the meantime, I wish I could stop time. Cuddling up to my sweet little boy while hearing his sweet prayers and melodies...how quickly these moments are passing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



These are just a few of the blessings we receive from our heavenly Father while we get the previlege of being earthly mothers and fathers. cherish them, i only regret not doing more of these kind of things with you and riley
ReplyDeleteNow teach the kid some 3rd day and Toby Mac....
Oh Tosha, that made me cry! L is doing the same things when she sings and prays. It makes me sad to realize she's probably my last baby, but for now I will enjoy every second while she's little...it's so precious.
ReplyDelete