Monday, July 19, 2010

Bugs and Babies

It's 5:41am and I've been awake for a little over an hour now.  This morning marks the beginning of my 35th week of pregnancy and I've gotten to the point where sleep is a luxury.  Plus, Gracie is getting bigger, which makes it harder to get comfortable.  Lately, I've really started to believe that I know what a bug stuck on its back feels like, and I mentioned this a couple of days ago to a friend.  Once I get on my back, I have to gain momentum to turn over, which usually means waving limbs in the air at some point.  Most of the time I end up nudging my dear hubby..."Help!"

So after about 45 minutes of trying to go back to sleep, I thought I would update everyone on the last week or so.  So I got to the computer and suddenly heard a noise coming from the kitchen.  Now the part of me that is deathly scared of mice started to freak out as I crawled to the kitchen on my hands and knees, periodically banging the floor to scare off a mouse, should it be one.  Now I know what you're thinking..."if you're scared of mice, why on earth are you on the floor closer to the thing???" 

Well, that would be the part of me that knows I have to be a faithful keeper of my home and take care of the problem if there is a mouse that has decided to take residence in our dwelling.  And if I just walk right into the kitchen it may disappear and I wouldn't know for sure.  And the sound seemed to be coming from our movable kitchen island that has a 8-inch gap on the bottom of it, so I figured I could see it better if it was underneath the island.   

So after reaching the kitchen and banging the trash can sitting beside the island, the sound continued in a rhythmic "popping".  So I bravely followed the noise until I discovered that a bug was stuck on its back and was "popping" off the ground trying to turn over.  I didn't know they did this!  I've just always seen them lay on their backs, wiggle their legs in the air, helpless until they either die or intervention frees them of their unfortunate condition. 

So apparently I'm not the only one in this household that feels like a bug stuck on its back!  Now if I could only learn that "popping" thing, I might be able to get comfortable.  As my dad would say, "You're making memories."  And he's right...pregnancy is such a gift and every moment is incredibly special.  I was just telling my husband last night that it amazes me how God would come up with such an extraordinary concept of growing a little baby inside a mother's womb -- what an amazing honor it is for women, despite the physical demands it places on the body.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how funny! Isn't God funny sometimes! I loved this story. And just for the record I think you would have been just as good of a keeper of your home if you set some traps the next day!! But way to go, Tosha!

    ReplyDelete