Thursday, May 20, 2010

Handprints

I thought about handprints all day today, it seems.  I decided this morning that Isaac is becoming too addicted to Elmo in the mornings, so we would fill our morning with other activities that are just as fun and more interactive.   

So we fingerpainted and made handprints with the paint...


Then after he woke up from his nap and it was time for a diaper change, he found something else in which you can make handprints...


But I also thought about God's handprint today.  To make a long story short, a little over a week ago Isaac started waking up from his nighttime sleep and daytime naps crying and calling out for mommy.  So after a couple of days, we made a doctor's appointment and found out that he had a viral infection and, to say the least, the past week has been very challenging.  Most of the time he has seemed fine -- his normal happy and healthy self -- other than being a little tired.  But other times he's been extremely fussy or clingy in a way he's never been before.  And quite frankly, what seem to be like the ups and downs of this virus are causing my emotions to follow the same pattern.

Since becoming a mom, I've noticed that I am continually dealing more and more with worry.  And while I know that all moms worry about their kids, there's a point where you can be consumed with worry.  And lately, I've gotten to that point.  Over the past week, I've analyzed every odd behavior, every cry, every moment of tiredness to the point that worry consumed my thoughts and I was constantly fearful that something more than a virus was affecting my child -- Is he scared of something?  Is he having night terrors?  Is he just really tired?  Is it just a temper tantrum?  Is he this or is he that?  Is this normal?

I realize that I don't know what the future brings, whether it be sickness or health, safety or harm, happiness or sorrow.  But I think on some level, I want control over those things.  And there comes a point where I have to decide if I'm going to trust God or I'm not.

I serve a God who is Sovereign...truly in control of all things.  And He gave his Son for me.  And here I am, worrying about the life of my own son, holding so tightly to him that I don't surrender him to the very One that created him.  We named our son Isaac after the Isaac in the Old Testament -- the son of promise, a miracle baby.  In many ways, Isaac was a son of promise to us.  So how ironic that I would deal with the same struggle of laying my Isaac down in sacrifice back to the God who calls me to give up everything to follow Christ.

So today after Isaac laid down for his nap, I had a time of weeping and admitting to God that I have dealt with worry and a lack of trust in Him.  And as I thought about this throughout the rest of today, I thought about how God has His handprint on his children.  For those who know Christ, we are sealed for the day of redemption (Ephesians 4:30), no one can snatch us out of his hand (John 10:28), and "He who began a good work in [us] will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ" (Philippians 1:6). 

And tonight I read a passage in Isaiah: "...we are the clay, and you are our potter, we are all the work of your hand." (Isaiah 64:8).  The footnote in my Bible states "Praying for the Power of God: Isaiah is moved to instruct God's people on how to pray for demonstration of God's saving power" (ESV Study Bible).  Isaiah talks about how we all "fade like a leaf" (vs. 6) and how God "acts for those who wait for him" (vs. 4).  I'm so encouraged to think about the mercy and patience that God shows us.  And realizing that I can't control the future for my kids, I'm glad that God is "for" me and helps me overcome the sin that separates me from the peace of knowing God, rather, is in control and loves me (and my children) more than I could ever imagine.  "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose" (Romans 8:28). 

"What then shall we say to these things?  If God is for us, who can be against us?  He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?  Who shall bring any charge against God's elect?  It is God who justifies.  Who is to condemn?  Christ Jesus is the one who died--more than that, who was raised--who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?  Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?  As it is written, 'For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.'  No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.  For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."  (Romans 8:31-39)

6 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful Tosha. I needed to hear every word. Keep it coming!! You're an incredibly talented Mommy!!
    I've been struggling with worry a LOT lately. We need to talk! Miss you!
    Shea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I need to read my devotional, now...that was good! Love you, sister!

    - Riley

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are precious Tosha. Isaac's fear is right on schedule for his development. There is a part of his brain that is maturing, and realizing that sometimes life is scary. Your emotions are certainly to be expected as a mommy and even more so as an expectant mommy. =) I am not trying to dish out unsolicited advice, I just want you to know, your fear and emotion are evidence of what a deeply caring person you are. (((HUGS)))

    Your sister in Christ
    Kristen Dunlap

    Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you (Isaac) , plans to prosper you......

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very humbling to realize that I can't do anything, but God can do everything. I know what a great mom you are, and I remember how helpless you can feel when you're child hurts, but you can't fix it. I needed to read your thoughts today. I love ya'll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was reminded as I read your words, the many conversations we have had over the past few months. It is normal to care and love your children and to try and protect them in all aspects of life. However, just as I had to trust God when you guys moved to Tx, you will have to trust God in the motherly wisdom He has already equipped you with. Like we talked anout yesterday this too is just a stage of Isaacs growth and it wont last long, but cherish the days because before you know it He will be saying; mom & Dad I am moving to ??? and you will have to let go even though it tears your heart out. But our God is suffecient for all things and as Phil 4:6-7 tells us, there is no need to be anxious for we as God's children have a peace that surpasses all comprehension. Thank you chickie baby for reminding your dad that God is the ultimate answer. I too needed to read these thoughts. I love you and in my book you are the best mother I know.
    Love Dad

    PS I hope you are keeping a hard copy of these blogs, i can see a publication in the works maybe with the title of "Letters from Mommyville"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sis, You never cease to amaze me. Period. You amaze me at how awesome and tallented you are at your writings. But more than that you amaze me at how great of a mom you are. And, most of all, just as you did when you were in college you amaze me at how you always make me want to be a better child of God. You remind me of how Amazing our God is and that He Does have All in His Control. It makes me think that when we are sad when our children are sick or are hurting He is also hurting because we are hurting. He is our Heavenly Father, but he is also our "ABBA" Father. Our that knows all our inmost heart. I love you honey, Mom

    ReplyDelete