Saturday, May 8, 2010

Thirty Years

Grow old along with me!
The best is yet to be,
The last of life, for which the first was made:
Our times are in His hand
Who saith "A whole I planned,
Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!"
-Robert Browning (1812-1889)


Last Sunday, May 2nd, my parents celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary!  I am so incredibly thankful for my parents.  I honestly couldn't imagine having any better parents than these two!  They are continuously an example to me.  They are dedicated, hardworking people and have always been there for me, no matter the circumstance.  They have shown unconditional love and acceptance, even when parenting required discipline and "corrective instruction."  And they have shown my brother and I what commitment looks like.  They would be the first to tell you that the last 30 years have had joys and challenges alike.  But my brother and I have seen two people that love, forgive, and put their faith in God to continuously make all things new.  They have seen each other through cancer and job losses, health and job successes, triumphs and failures, joys and heartaches.  And now, thirty years later, are more in love than ever before. 

Last Friday night, on April 30th, my brother and I (along with our spouses) surprised my parents with an anniversary party.  My mom actually knew about it, but we somehow managed to completely surprise my dad who has been surprised a total of about twice in his entire life.  This is the guy who would go and "check" on my mom's stuff in lay-a-way at Wal-Mart until he heard that desired Christmas present listed off in the items on hold.  My husband and I were absolutely positive that he somehow knew something was in the works.  But 'lo and behold, we did it.  And because Matt, Isaac, and I live 7 hours away it was especially fun getting to surprise him with our visit.  It's been a couple of months since we've seen "Grandad" and it was such a blessing to see the joy on my dad's face that his grandson was there when he least expected it.

My brother made this video of my parents for the party...


I absolutely love seeing how my parents have transformed over the years.  It makes me think about how my own kids will giggle at the pictures that document the "styles" of the day that I, of course, know to be incredibly trendy.  

In honor of their wedding color, my sister-in-law Kassie and I decorated the party in white and baby/powder blue.  It would be classic if my mom still had her baby blue wedding dress and my dad still had his powder blue tuxedo!


My "adoptive parents" (lifelong family friends) helped in the surprise.  They offered to buy my parents dinner for their anniversary but had to make a "quick stop" by the church, where the party was held. 


 My parents with their cake.  Their actual wedding cake was white with blue accents.

Our family...Matt, me, Isaac, my parents, my brother Riley and his wife Kassie.


Congratulations, Mom and Dad!!!
I love and cherish you both tremendously!


No comments:

Post a Comment